Learn More About The News Sustainability Project and How Your Data Is Stored & Used
The News Sustainability Project is an ongoing effort to more deeply understand and enable sustainability for news publishers across the world. The project leverages data and insights from more than 400 publishers across the world and interviews with more than 30 industry experts and associations.
The project has been a joint collaboration between the Google News Initiative, FT Strategies, and Use All Five.
Here is an overview of how your data is stored and used.
- Use All Five will collect and store the data you submit when you create an account or complete the diagnostic. This includes the data you submit for the diagnostic, the Sustainability Readiness Scores the diagnostic produces, and strategic priorities, tactics and project plans you select and create.
- FT Strategies will have access to the data you submit through the diagnostic. The quality of the data will be validated by FT Strategies. Someone from FT Strategies may contact you to verify that your data is accurate. FT Strategies will also validate that each publisher only has a single account.
- Once validated, the data you submit will be added to the underlying dataset that contributes to the benchmarks shown in your report.
- Google / GNI will not have access to any of the raw data you submit. For publishers participating in a GNI program, you can consent in your dashboard to share your data with Google for the purposes of your participation in the GNI program.
- FT Strategies may share anonymized, aggregated sets of data for the purposes of supporting thought leadership, re-calibrating the index, future GNI programs, and for further developing the diagnostic and recommendations.
- Use All Five and FT Strategies will only use the raw data that you submit for the purposes of the News Sustainability Project.
We advise you to only share your Username and Password with those within your organization who will need direct access to the diagnostic.
Use All Five will work hard to protect your information from unauthorized access, alteration, disclosure, or destruction of information we hold, including:
- We use encryption to keep your data private while in transit.
- We review our information collection, storage, and processing practices, including physical security measures, to prevent unauthorized access to our systems.
- We restrict access to sensitive information to only a limited set of employees, contractors, and agents who need that information to process it. Anyone with this access is subject to strict contractual confidentiality obligations and may be disciplined or terminated if they fail to meet these obligations.
What is Use All Five?
Use All Five is a design and technology studio based in Los Angeles. We help organizations achieve impact and uncommon results through thoughtful strategy, brand development, and digital innovation.
What is FT Strategies?
FT Strategies is the specialist media consultancy from the Financial Times that supports organizations in delivering sustainable growth - whether that is achieving revenue goals or becoming audience-centric. FT Strategies is a business division of FT Group and works directly with clients in the media industry.
What is the Google News Initiative?
The Google News Initiative is Google’s effort to work alongside news organizations to build a more sustainable, diverse and innovative news ecosystem.
Our aim is to be as transparent as possible about how we collect, use, and process data. If you have additional questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org